"Throwing your knickers at someone"

Some weeks ago, while I was chatting about "The X Factor" with Emma, an English friend from Sussex, we’ve been able to face really funny misunderstandings thanks to our different cultures and the weird expressions used by English native speakers.

“I didn’t really like listening to Danyl singing…” I commented.

“I’m listening to him right now!! Oh my God! Cheryl is throwing her knickers at him now!”

“HER KNICKERS? I did not see that part!!! WOW!!! She must be crazy! Did it appear on TV? WOW! I’ve really got to see that!”

“WHAT? Ahahah! I didn’t mean like she was literally throwing her panties at him!”

“Ah!!! Oh! Really? What a pity! Firstly I got shocked! But then I was looking forward to see that!!! So… Is “throwing your knickers at someone” an expression?”

“Yes! It’s an expression! Ahah! I used it because she was almost flirting with Danyl!!! Ahahah!”

“Ahah! I’m feeling so geek now!!! I was imagining it literally… It’d have been much funnier!! Come on! You’ve got to agree with me!!!”



Whatever else people may do when they come together – whether they play, fight, make love or make automobiles – they talk. We live in a world of so many words, expressions, meanings and languages!… and actually, we all can learn amazing things in some kind of funny learning with people from different cultures. It’s just a question of being curious and finding your own way…

«Learn what you need, share what you know.»

4 comments:

Os Heaneys said...

LOL So funny Sofia!!! I even imagined your cheeky face when your friend told you that!!!
I agree "We all can learn amazing things in some kind of funny learning with people from different cultures". That's what makes learning about other languages and cultures so interesting!

Os Heaneys said...

By the way... I like your friend's name! :) Kissinho!!!

Sofia Monteiro said...

cheeky face??? Do I have a cheeky face?! :O looolloll

Kissinhos!

Ps: I also like her name :P ;)

Anonymous said...

U told me bout that expression! I'd love to see ur face :P Absobloodyblutely amazing :D

Rita Abreu :)